Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Meal No. 493: Pulled Pork Barbecue


What a great Sunday evening, and a perfect opportunity to have a crew of people come over and an excuse for me to break out the amazing recipe for pulled pork barbecue.


It's a reasonably involved process to get this barbecue on the table, with a couple of hours of brining, then three hours of low-temp foil-sealed roasting, followed by another 1.5 hours uncovered roasting to create a good bark. And it is worth it.


I was very glad that the gathered guests included former Wake Forest grad student/advisee Bradley Phillis, and he brought along his fiancée Lauren.

The barbecue and sauce did nicely all on their own, but I really like having Ina Garten's version of blue cheese coleslaw to go with it.


Tonight I also had creamy deviled eggs, using a recipe shared with me years ago by dear Charlottesville friends Barbara and Jim Huneycutt. Brad and Lauren did me a great service by getting those hard-boiled eggs peeled in time for me to make the creamy insides. Amy showed her fondness for them as we all ate our dinners up on the second story porch, looking out at the city skyline.


For dessert, I had an ice-and-rock-salt freezer of ice cream churning, and it pumped out some yummy frostie chocolate ice cream. (Recipe stumbled upon on Southern Living blogs, when looking for how to make peach Nehi ice cream. It was submitted by a blog community member named "pbj1118.")


I think their expressions mean they liked it.



Indoor Pulled Pork Barbecue, in Cook's Illustrated, No. 102, January-February 2010, p. 6-7.

Blue Cheese Coleslaw, from Ina Garten:  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/blue-cheese-cole-slaw-recipe/index.html

No comments: