Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Meal No. 391: New Year's Day Meatballs

Last night, the night before Thanksgiving Day 2011, was the official start of how the Roediger House celebrates this fall holiday. Why limit ourselves just to the huge meal on Thursday when the party can last two days?


It has become the tradition to have a night of drinking and karaoke upstairs in the TV room, which gives some folks a chance to lay down some hard-core singing and to spark laughter all 'round.

But the karaoke is for everybody else; I spend that time down in the kitchen working up some food and such. I interrupted the frivolity upstairs with a dinner bell, and on the table last night was a plate of what we in the Jones family call "New Year's Day Meatballs." This is in honor of the first time we had it, over a long-ago holiday at home in Buies Creek, when my sister Allison served it up to us.


This meal has made a couple of appearances at the RoHo; the first time I ever made it was for  Meal No. 79.


Very little remained for leftovers...I think only two meatballs remained. Since I knew there would be a lot more food coming with tonight's Thanksgiving meal, I sent a doggy bag home with friends Molly and Andrew.



"New Year's Day Meatballs," from Carol Fultz and shared with me by my sister Allison Jones Holden of Rossville, IN (2001).

"Company Mashed Potatoes," a Jones family favorite.

No comments: