Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Meal No. 339: T-Bone Steaks

It was a pretty event-filled day at the Roediger House today, so let's run it down...

Twin City Taps Craft Beer Festival

Let's chalk up another advantage to downtown living.

The inaugural craft beer festival of North Carolina microbreweries happened here in Winston-Salem today, and it was hosted at BB&T Ballpark, home of the minor league baseball team the Winston-Salem Dash. And that's walking distance from the house.

Which is good, because although I've enjoyed many a Virginia wine festival, a beer fest was new for me, and I did not anticipate how much I'd actually consume in a short space of time. Let's say I managed to get loopy.

And cooked in the sun as well, but not so bad as to put me in pain. It's a nice reddening that resulted from outdoor exposure, which also made me thirstier. Still, I'm glad fellow UNC grad Steve Zorn suggested it, and that it coincided with a visit to Winston-Salem by former WFU student Byron Hoover.

We had us a good time.

Visit from the Hoovers

Byron's wife Laura did not have much interest in the beer festival, but she and their younger son Jonah came by and it was good to visit with them afterwards. We enjoyed munching down on some spicy bay seasoned snack mix they brought, which was most thoughtful. They are great folks and I like very much that their occasional trips back here to Winston (Byron and Laura met and married as students at Wake Forest) usually include swinging by the Roediger House.

Grilling Steaks

The Hoovers headed out but new WFU grad student Ben Phillis arrived to partake of the evening's grub. My altered state did not seem to interfere with grilling up some delicious t-bone steaks, along with russet and sweet potatoes and steamed asparagus on the grill.



No comments: