Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Meal No. 213: Burris Birthday Bash


In the spirit of repeated meals, here's another: the honorary Jon Piper dish dubbed The Pipetizer Casserole. This is what I cooked up this afternoon as a meal for six of us before the evening's main fare: a 40th birthday party for good friend Chris Burris, a regular in the Roediger House line-up. We were all so ready to sit down to eat that I forgot to do my usual plated food photo. The picture above is what was waiting when I headed back for the irresistible seconds.

And since tonight was going to evolve into a party, I had to get crackin' on some food prep. For instance, I think a gathering like this at the house deserves a big tray of monster chip cookies:


And while I tried just one when they came out of the oven hot, I understand from some of the attendees (who left very few on the tray once the night was over) that they were pretty good. I hope so.



Chris Burris 40th Birthday Bash


When I was a graduate student getting my masters at Wake Forest University, I was also a Hall Director, and that's when I first met Chris Burris as a freshman on one of the halls in Kitchin Dorm. That same spring, I met his sister Candice, because she was a senior at Mount Tabor High School, where I did my student teaching in the Spring of 1990.


Chris is one of the usual suspects 'round here, a regular at movie nights, parties, and dinners. And with the milestone of his 40th birthday coming up on Monday, it was a great reason to put the socially-inviting spaces of the Roediger House into play.


It was a sci-fi themed party, with a particular emphasis on all things Doctor Who. Below, you can see Amy Williamson (in companion Amelia Pond attire) emerging from a homemade representation of the Tardis.


Lots of good friends came to help Chris celebrate, such as his long-time buddy Brad Weidemann, pictured below.


The shindig went quite late into the night, but it was a terrific evening.

No comments: