Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Meal No. 139: Salmon w/Tarragon Mushroom Sauce

First things first: I have a birthday coming up soon, and today I was given a very thoughtful early gift.

A New Rice Cooker

You see, I don't know what the deal is, but I have the darnedest time getting rice right. It's usually still too wet or requires considerably more time than package directions suggest. It is a new problem for me, since I've been in this house, because I don't remember rice being a challenge to me in the past. Anyway, imagine the pleasure I experienced of having this dandy new appliance, and just in time to whip up some basmati rice to go with this evening's meal.

Pan-Seared Wild-Caught Sockeye Salmon
There were some beautiful slabs of salmon fillets at Lowe's grocery this morning, and they were not to be resisted. I'm darned glad I got them. I did the simple pan-searing of them, with a bit of kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper.


I also decided to try out a new accompaniment for it this evening: tarragon mushroom sauce. Here it is in its thickened state. It's actually got a little kick to it, thanks to a dash or two of cayenne pepper.


Throw some asparagus in the steamer, and in the end, it's a truly delicious meal. Just the thing for watching the next episodes as I work my way through Season 4 of Dexter.



Tarragon & Mushroom Sauce: 400 Sauces by Atkinson, France, and Mayhew (2006,2008), p. 184

No comments: