Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2019

Meal No. 2445: Supper-Sized Baked Beans


On one of my earliest trips up to Winchester, VA, to visit dear friends Cindy Coulson and Harley Knowles, Cindy served up some super supper-sized baked beans, perhaps with grilled burgers. I liked them then as a vast improvement over plain old baked beans, which are fine but not something I'm especially drawn to. I remember making them for a gathering at Jim and Barbara Huneycutt's house back in my UVA days, and perhaps once in the old kitchen here at the Roediger House in the early 2000s.

And not since then! I guess when I think about them it's often in connection with a cookout, but since these beans have browned ground beef in them, it almost seems like a conflict if I serve them with burgers. Tonight I decided: What The Heck! And made 'em as a dinner portion all to themselves, which was really pretty perfect, I'd say.



"Baked Beans," from Redith Mozelle Newman Quesenberry (1927-2019) of Carroll County, Virginia, via Cindy Coulson of Cana, VA.

No comments: