Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

A Shivering Stray that Didn't Get Away


Tonight, I walked home from a/perture cinema (the independent arthouse theatre just up from the house on Fourth Street), after catching their special screening of "The Hottest August." As is the custom, I let Sumner out for his potty break but we were immediately derailed from our mission by the lightning-fast dash of a terrified small pooch, emerging from the dark of the back corner of the parking lot, spooked I'm sure by Sumner picking up his scent. It was a repeat of what had occurred first thing this morning, except on that earlier encounter the escapee took off for Fourth Street and I could get no where close to him. I was surprised to find he was back in the yard this evening.


Fortunately, when he fled tonight with Sumner close on his heels, he ran around the northwest corner of the house, straight into the walled-and-fenced dead-end where the HVAC units are. There he froze and cowered. I spent about 15 minutes talking and wooing and coaxing him but he would not let me pick him up. With Sumner left to stand guard, I got my work gloves (I didn't want him to draw any more blood) and Hav-A-Hart cage and managed to scoop him up and safely deposit him there.


UPDATE. I had messaged Erin Turner, who arranged for the adoption of Cyprus back in 2011, and who now runs Stepping Stones Canine Rescue. She hooked me up with her vet and I took this cutie in on Thursday morning. They scanned for a chip and were able to contact the owner for pickup. So, a happy ending for a pooch named Theo, who was lost but now is found!


No comments: