Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Mardi Gras King Cake


It's Mardi Gras. For the first time, I've tried to be deliberately conscious of this and to plan my time accordingly. Not because I'm headed to New Orleans, but because I wanted the festive occasion to inspire me to try making a King Cake for the first time. I just had to remember to set aside some time to do it, so I scheduled myself to be working locally this week. It was an added bonus that winter weather gave me snow days off from work today (and maybe tomorrow!).



So, this first effort turned out okay. I'm not sure if I had old yeast or if I managed to kill it with improperly cool or warm ingredients...because it didn't rise enough before I put it in the oven.

In the baking, though, it did puff on out:


I had to try some for dessert this evening after dinner. To be honest, it tasted a lot like a sugar-topped Entemann's cream cheese danish. Which means it was good, sweet, slightly dry and a tad dense.


And there was no baby inside, mind you. I'm not getting that serious about it.

Taking note of this holiday was also the inspiration for the New Orleans Pork Grillades I made over the weekend.



"Mardi Gras King Cake," by MaryJane Robbins, Blogger and Master Baker at King Arthur Flour.

No comments: