Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Dining Roomsurrection

Ladies and gentlemen, something amazing has happened at the Roediger House this summer. Finally, in my 11th year in the house, I'm getting moving again on much-needed and long overdue restoration and repair work. Let it begin with the dining room, which has looked like this for a very long time:






To be fair, the walls look much worse in no small part because I had the previous wallpaper in there removed back in 2009, as chronicled in this blog post.

It can take me quite a while to get motivated sometimes, and once that initiative kicks in, I have to milk it while I can. I also have to hope that I can line the right people up to do the job, people who actually come through. That's what I've found with Philip Lamachio and Estate Plaster, Inc. The plaster restoration needs in the house are enormous but he's the perfect guy for this job, because it's not about hiding the cracks. It's about true repair and resecuring of it, in the hands of a meticulous artist. I was so happy when he got started:




And the finished product thrills me:



Not only did Philip repair and restore the plaster...he also eliminated the inappropriate textured ceiling and returned it to the flat and smooth appearance that the house would originally have had.

What's kind of interesting is that, when good friends have come to the house since this was done, they glance at the dining room but don't really notice this makeover for the dramatic shift it is. My theory about that? Not that it isn't a great result, but that now it finally looks like it's supposed to!

No comments: