Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Decorating for Christmas 2013


It's been a long, long time since I've gotten Christmas decorations up. I've had the meager offering of my Moravian Star and perhaps the wreath on the upstairs porch railing. But the stand for the Christmas tree has been missing ever since the renovation and addition project in 2008-2009, and I just found it, at long last.


The fall of the United States from its position of global power at the hands of Chinese aggression will not be due to any armed conflict. It won't even be the sudden cashing in of all the notes of debt that they have against us. It will be the way our nation slowly goes insane as it seeks to unravel the kaput strings of lights on the intricately pre-lighted Christmas trees that suckers like me have bought over the years. My tree is now 10 years old, and the other big reason I've not put it up in a while was because I knew that I would have to replace the dead strands of lights. I kid you not: it took about an hour to remove each individual strand that was no long working. I have replaced them with 1400 lights: seven strands with 200 lights each. It took two days just to get a lighted tree erected.


But it sure is purty.


And Cyprus enjoys settling in right next to it...


...while each evening I enjoy sitting in the north parlour drinking hot chocolate by the tree, in a nice Christmas mug given to me years ago by friend and former teaching colleague Mary Jones.


The stockings and stocking holders given to me by my sister Allison have been hung by the chimney with care.


This old pair of carolers that I received from my mother's estate has been placed on the sideboard in the anteroom.



It's looking very much like Christmas time is here!

No comments: