Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The Hazard of Hushpuppies

Better do some knocking on wood, because I'm about to remark about how relatively lucky or fortunate I feel: given all the cooking I do and time I spend in the kitchen, I should count my lucky stars that I have remained mostly injury-free. Except for how the cold weather makes my hands crack like crazy, I think I've had one knife mishap. Oh, and there was the hot-fork-lip-searing event when I was making roux for mac-n-cheese.

So I just took it in stride when I was frying up some hushpuppies for Meal No. 458, and a dollop of hot frying oil jumped up on my finger while I was dropping the mix into the fryer. It stung but I kept on going. There were, after all, people waiting for their dinner, and I needed to keep my hustle in top-gain form.

By the end of the day it was a big blister and, a couple of days later, thanks to reaching into my Levi's for keys and such, it was just raw meat.


No comments: