Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Meal No. 535: Pork Shoulder Roast with Citrus Mojo and Green Sauce

On the menu tonight: a long, slow-roasted spice-rubbed pork shoulder, shredded and mixed with a citrus mojo and dipped, topped, or roll-slathered with a cilantro-lime green sauce. It required a large group to consume it, and that's just what the convergence of schedules allowed to happen.

The composition of the group might change from visit to visit, but I persist in referring to (at least part of) tonight's gathered group as "The New Orleans Crew." It was great to have Tim Schwarz return but also to have Andrea and Mark Bailey [pictured, with that awful Duke shirt on Andrea] here for the first time, as a stopover on their trip to see her family in New Bern. Also on hand were a couple of Wake Forest graduates (Bradley '07 and Chris '12) and the always-present Ward brothers.

I got adventurous with a new recipe, although it's a cousin (methinks) to the Cuban sandwiches with cilantro-lime mayonnaise that I made for Meal No. 502. That previous recipe was for the slow cooker and was considerably more simple than what I put together for tonight.


I brought back the eggy potato salad that I went a bit nuts with earlier in the summer, and I also made my sister's good recipe for a layered green bean casserole.




For dessert I offered up French yogurt cake and chocolate frostie homemade ice cream from the freezer/churn. Some opted for the two together, but my choice of serving plate was a poor one. Others got them in separate dishes.



"Pork Shoulder Roast with Citrus Mojo & Creamy Cilantro-Lime Sauce," by Alex Roberts of Brasa (Minneapolis, MN). Recipe in Food & Wine, May 2012, p. 152, 154.

"Eggy Potato Salad with Pickles," by Jenny Rosenstratch and Andy Ward. In Bon Appétit, May 2012, p. 36.

"Layered Green Bean Casserole," shared with me by my sister Allison Jones Holden, December 2001.

"French Yogurt Cake," by Andrew Knowlton. In Bon Appétit, May 2012, p. 30.

"Chocolate Frostie Ice Cream," found in the discussion threads on Southern Living Blogs.

No comments: