Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Meal No. 385: Ultimate Cream of Tomato Soup


I love getting tomato soup, or tomato-basil soup, or tomato bisque, whenever I'm eating out. When I was in my doc program at the University of Virginia, I was especially frequent in stopping off at Café Europa for a big bowl of their version, with a portion of a French baguette to go with it. That was perfect when I didn't want a big meal.

That's how I was feeling tonight, on this really chilly November day. I got home from working with Richmond County Schools around 1 pm today, and that left me plenty of time to consider something for tonight appropriate to my appetite and to the weather. I've been a bit on the stressed side the last couple of weeks, and it throws off my appetite, so I've been taking it easy at mealtime (or skipping altogether...last night I just had a chocolate shake for dinner).

In my "Soups & Stews" folder, there are four different recipes for making a homemade tomato soup, and I decided it was time to try one of them out. I selected the version recommended by Cook's Illustrated, because I know I can generally trust them. It was also not overly involved or too time-consuming.

It was amazing. I tried to consume a second bowl of it but had to stop about half-way through because I couldn't fit any more into my body. The effort was valiant, though.

No comments: