Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Meal No. 377: Savory Garlic Beef & Broccoli Turnovers

I've now tried my hand at working with phyllo dough for the first time.

I was rather clumsy with it, and the results in the future had better turn out to be prettier. But I'm glad I gave it a shot and plan to do a bit more with phyllo in the future.

The impetus: a recipe in a recent issue of one of my cooking magazines that looked pretty do-able. It's called savory garlic beef and broccoli turnovers, made with ground beef, mushrooms, onions, finely-chopped broccoli florets, some savory garlic cooking cream, and sour cream. All this is cooked up in the skillet, and then you roll it into a triple-layer of phyllo dough, brushing with melted butter in between. It should end up triangle-shaped, or something approximating it.

The result? These were freakin' awesome, and that's with the knowledge that next time they could be even better. A proper serving was three turnovers. I had to have a fourth.  I definitely recommend 'em.



"Savory Garlic Beef & Broccoli Turnovers," by Kirsten Shabaz of Minneapolis, MN. Taste of Home, November 2011, p. 31.

No comments: