Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Meal No. 142: Glazed Meat Loaf

I decided this evening to make something new for me: meat loaf. I turned to a recipe in Cook's Country (Feb/March 2009, p. 8-9), which I find pretty trustworthy and good at guiding me about putting together certain dishes, and they did not steer me wrong. I was especially happy with how the glaze/sauce turned out and, since I did overcook the meat loaf a bit, the sauce was all the more helpful.



If you study the above picture carefully, you may notice that there's a considerable stretch of real estate on it that remains unfilled. I mean, there's a slab of meat loaf and there are some tasty green beans, but shouldn't there be something else? Turns out I read another new recipe a bit too quickly, and didn't realize it would take about an hour longer to prepare than I was figuring on. So this meal took place in stages.



Also from Cook's Country (Oct/Nov 2010, p. 17) came a recipe for onions and potatoes au gratin, and not only did it take way too long to make and cook, it was also not that good. So that recipe will go the way of a few others and never be seen or heard of again in the Roediger House.

Dessert was also a new recipe, and I am sure it will be a keeper.



What you see here is a pan of dulce de leche cheesecake bars (Bon Appétit, June 2010; personal clippings). Not too hard to fix, although since it calls for prepared/store-bought dulce de leche, I had to go to three grocery stores before I could track it down. (Thank you, Food Lion on Peters Creek Parkway.)



This is my piece before I dug in. And I could only eat about half of it...it's pretty rich. But it's also mighty good.

No comments: