Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Chill January Mornings


Most of the entries to the blog are written in advance and set up to post automatically over night. Ironically, today's post (about last Friday's chilly morning) is showing up right when a record-setting polar vortex has settled over the midwest and the Great Lakes region, leading to record-busting low temps and wind chills.


While it was 19°F when I got up around 7 am this morning, we were fortunately far enough south of the vortex so as not to be brutalized by it in the same way as our northern neighbors.


As for last Friday, Sumner and I were up pretty early, and in that cold morning air well before sunrise, we were witness to a rather cool celestial display, including two adjacent brightnesses that I needed Google Sky to confirm what I suspected: Venus and Jupiter were again close to one another.  I guess I could've tried to photograph it, but I snagged the Sky app screenshot instead.


(Also, according to that marvelous app, below the horizon between those planets and the sun lurked both Saturn and Pluto.)


Saturday morning's chill was sufficient that it called for a nice blazing fire: No. 64 in the ongoing tally since the kitchen addition was completed in 2010.

No comments: