Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Epic Rainbow Cake


That's quite a cake I made recently, six layers and a fancy meringue buttercream.

A couple of years ago, when I was feeling adventurous and up to a great cake challenge, I followed a recipe called "Epic Rainbow Cake" and even experimented with the Swiss meringue buttercream frosting that was recommended for it. I had some missteps in that first trial but it was still pretty remarkable. I've been wanting to give it another go. With the weather starting out yucky on a recent Friday, and having my first day off in weeks, it seemed like a good time.


It isn't a small undertaking, as cakes go, but it's fun. And the cake itself really is exceptionally good. This time around, I decided to make only a single batch of Italian meringue buttercream for the outer frosting, and I went the simpler route of making a cream cheese frosting to slather between the layers.


The cake was fantastic...my second attempt was a great improvement over the last version. I served it up with a side of another new ice cream that I also made that day. I'll blog about that later.




"Say It With Cake: Super Epic Rainbow Cake," and "How To Make Italian Meringue Buttercream," from the Whisk Kid blog.

No comments: