Search RoHo Blog

Friday, January 25, 2013

Meal No. 672: Chicken with Mushroom Wine Sauce

Two snow days in a row up in Frederick County, VA, defined the end of my week of work on the road. As soon as I received notice that their schools were closed again today, I threw all my belongings into my bag, checked out of the Sleep Inn in Winchester, and was on the road just before 6 am.

The rush home was due to the imminent weather event promised for Winston-Salem and thereabouts (I'll blog about that tomorrow), and I was already plenty worried about how I'd get home if I'd worked a full day today.

Anyway, with only a few scattered flurries and a touch of sleet along the route, I got home by 10:30 am this morning. Cyprus was a happy girl, for sure. I swung by the grocery store for those few items that might be needed should the weather shut down the city (and yes, that truly included milk and bread: I was out of both!).

I already had in the fridge a small package of chicken thighs, though, a plan put in place before I left last Monday, assuming I'd be getting in late evening Friday night. That formed the basis of this evening's meal, which I wanted to be simple but tasty. It was both.

To go with it, inspired by a pesto orzo side dish at the Woodstock Café Thursday night with Ebbie Linaburg and Donna Whitley-Smith, I returned to this creamy orzo risotto but substituted goat cheese for the blue cheese. The whole green beans that rounded out the plate didn't actually add very much to it, unfortunately.




"Chicken with Mushroom Sauce," from RealSimple.com

"Creamy Orzo Risotto with Blue Cheese and Pine Nuts," by Natalie MacLean. Recipe found online at NatalieMacLean.com.

No comments: