Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lenoir Rhyne Wants Annie's Money

I believe I misspoke/miswrote in my recent blog post that described how my interest in the Roediger family history got sparked into action recently. I mentioned receiving a postcard from Lenoir-Rhyne University in Hickory, addressed to Annie G. Roediger (daughter of the man who built my house). What I got wrong was saying she'd been dead for over 20 years. Actually, she died over 30 years ago.


But Lenoir-Rhyne must not know that, and they have embarked on an ambitious fundraising campaign and apparently they are pulling out the stops. A young man named Fletcher stopped by the house when I was away in Florida. He left a big folder of information on the front porch, describing the start of this huge campaign, along with a nice pen engraved with "Lenoir-Rhyne University," and a handwritten notecard saying he looks forward to meeting her.

I'll have to break the bad news to him if he ever catches me at home. It gets my curiosity going again, though. That postcard had her name with '71 beside it, and that suggests alumnae status. (But she would have been almost 70 years old at that time!) Her sister Ruth, the last surviving Roediger Family member, died in 1991, although it appears she passed away in Hickory...which is where LRU is located.

Did these daughters leave money to Lenoir-Rhyne? Did their parents? Did one of them actually attend LR as a much older adult? [Some of my other history digging turned up Annie Glass Roediger in the freshman and sophomore classes of Women's College in Greensboro (now known as UNC-Greensboro)...in the early 1920s!]

More questions than answers at this point.

No comments: