Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Bitten by the History Bug


At the end of August, a postcard announcing the upcoming reunion of classes at Lenoir-Rhyne College arrived here, addressed to "Annie G. Roediger '71." This got me a little curious, because by my best estimation, that was quite a late graduation date for the woman I had always assumed was one of the daughters of George and Laura Roediger. 1971? Really? She'd've been, like, around 70 years old!

And this got me started on a quest to finally nail down some additional information about the Roediger Family, who built this house in 1905 and who lived here at least up to 1991. My info on them was limited...a few tidbits that were included in brief summaries about this house but which I'd never gotten around to investigating further.

In the coming weeks and months, I'll be offering blog posts to fill in these missing pieces as I find them. I can warn you that, after just a few treks to the Main Branch of the Forsyth County Library (which is a mere block-and-a-half from the house), my interest is expanding beyond the house and Roediger Family. I'm also intrigued about various former neighbors to this property...some of the things that came and went while this house remained right here where it is.

All this, just because of that silly postcard, addressed to a woman who's been dead for over 20 years.

No comments: