Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Meal No. 539: Independence Day Meatballs

I had to send my sister Allison a note last evening, thanking her for dinner. Two of the key elements were thanks to recipes she shared with me.

The first of those recipes last night was a version of meatballs she first served to our family years and years ago on New Year's Day, so I've always called them New Year's Day meatballs. They are absolute olfactory murder while they are cooking (for two hours!). The amazing aroma kicks in about 15 minutes after they go into the oven, and I start muttering in spite of myself: "I wish I could blog smells. I wish I could blog smells."


Allison also made sure I had the recipe for another family favorite: company mashed potatoes. They may be the most-frequently-made side dish in the Roediger House repertoire. Finally, I tried out a recipe for garlicky seared green beans, and several around the table favorably compared them to the ones they love to get at P. F. Chang's. They were pretty darned good.

After the meal ended, we all had full bellies now and could not devote any energy to considering dessert. Which was good, because I didn't get around to making any.

Yard Update: This heatwave and dry spell are taking their toll, but I don't seem to have lost more than some of the little annuals that were struggling from the start. I'm having to keep a close eye on my rhododendrons; they're not any where near self-sufficient yet and especially vulnerable to any lack of water mixed with the oppressive heat.

Today was also the first time in nearly a month that I cut the grass...the dry, dry, parched, struggling grass. That's No. 10 for 2012.




"New Year's Day Meatballs," from Carol Fultz and shared with me by my sister Allison Jones Holden of Rossville, IN (2001).

"Company Mashed Potatoes," a Jones family favorite.

"Garlicky Green Beans," in Cuisine at Home, Issue No. 93, May/June 2012, p. 34.

No comments: