Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Meal No. 72: Beef Tenderloin


With food as a primary occupation of late, let's continue the theme. Tonight was a postponement of last night's intended "big dinner," which was completely messed up by the winter weather we got. But by pushing it to this evening, I lost a couple of guests who had to work. Still, it was a great evening for food and friends, and as I write this the clock approaches midnight and dishes are piled high by the sink, and I'm nonetheless quite content to simply head to bed.

When Harris Teeter puts their beef tenderloin on a good enough sale, I'm all set for preparing what some might term a "feast." That's what I was shooting for tonight, albeit a fairly low-key feast. And with a whole beef tenderloin, there is some prep-work to be done in advance: trimming down the tenderloin, salting it for a spell, and tying it up.



I grew up eating a lot of steak, and I still love a good piece of beef. This was a tender cut with a great flavor. The recipe I followed called for a slow roasting followed by pan-searing on the cooktop. I liked the results although I did let it cook just a bit too long...not bloody enough for my tastes. I tried out a new potatoes au gratin recipe that ran a little on the runny side but I think I'll know how to fix that. Add to it a spicy horseradish sauce I made this afternoon and some fresh potato bread from the bread machine, and the Abita Amber next to it is one happy beer.



The picture in the Hershey's cookbook looked too good, so I thought I'd give their Boston Cream Pie recipe a trial. I'd made it before and thought the cake was a bit dry. This time, it came out pretty, and pretty good.



Now, once again, I find myself full as a tick but one contented fellow living happily in the Roediger House.

No comments: