Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Sassying Up the Silt Fence Slope

Back Yard (April 2015)

So, yesterday's blog post talked about repairing a portion of the rear property line silt fence, that's been in place since early 2014 and that had been installed by the adjoining property owners while they wait to develop the land. But who knows when that will be, or what that will be? While I believe it's just a placeholder rendering, a concept was presented with some city planning docs that would imagines this sort of neighbor 20 feet from my kitchen window:


In the meantime, I feel like I'm in a holding pattern. Someday I might look right into a huge blank wall of a multi-story office building. Or perhaps it will be a parking lot (as it is now) for the rest of my life (or the rest of my residency in the Roediger House)...

BB&T Ballpark Fireworks (04 July 2017)

Without knowing what might someday sit very nearly on top of me back there, I've been uncertain about landscaping the back yard. Two years ago, I decided to plant three maple trees so that I could get a headstart on screening. They are coming along pretty well, thus far:

New Maples (June 2018)

I decided to go ahead and plant arbor vitae in the northwest corner of the back yard...no matter what gets built behind me, I'm pretty sure I'll be glad for that area to eventually be well-screened:


Once I got started on that area, though, I just kept on, which meant digging out a lot more tough clay and rock and brick and such. But now I've made that an ever better landscaped area, and I'm really liking it:


No comments: