Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Repair of the Silt Fence


For the first 10 years of my life in the Roediger House, my property backed up to what had been the used car lot for Modern Chevrolet. A large retaining wall held their property in place, and a crumbling brick wall only pretended to be useful right along the property line. Right around the beginning of the new year in 2014, that sales building and the retaining wall were demolished by the new property owners behind me and a steep slope and silt fence were installed (as shown above, from a few days ago).


Either that winter or the next, some desperate but inconsiderate snowboarder took advantage of that short but steep slope in one of our meager snowfalls and busted through the silt fence right where it meets the undemolished part of the wall. So a gradual erosion has occurred and a small delta has been building up into my back yard as a result:


I've been re-securing sections of the silt fence over the years, as the zip ties pull through the fabric, but I haven't gone about repairing this more major breach until this past week:


It's not my fence to fix but it's my battle that gets joined against the creeping elements and time, so I figured I'd best take it on. It's not an expert job but by golly it's doing something, right?

No comments: