Search RoHo Blog

Friday, July 6, 2018

Dramatic Paring of the Bradford Pear

Morning of 03 March 2018

I was doing more yard stuff last Tuesday afternoon and my attention was pulled to the part of the front yard known as the "grove" (because it has an enormous Bradford pear tree and two surviving cherry trees that never could really compete with the pear). I'd heard a loud cracking sound, and on closer inspection I saw that, at the top of the main trunk where the huge center branches split off, fissures had formed. I came inside to look up the local tree expert, David Lusk, and before I even got back outside, two huge branches had broken off and landed on the AT&T cable in front of the house.



Because it was on the main cable line strung between two poles along the street, I thought AT&T might want to be in on this, but their Customer Service doesn't seem to understand a call like that. I think they thought it was a limb on the telephone line going to my house.


I even spoke directly to a lineman from a crew that had just been working that morning on that very cable, but I still never saw them. So I sent word to Ken Olsen Jr. of Ken's Tree Service, who did such a great job back in 2011 removing all the trash trees from the back of the property, plus some other trees that needed to come down.


He and his fast-working and thorough crew were here this morning and in just over an hour topped that Bradford pear in hopes that I'll still get quite a few more years of enjoyment from it, once it branches out again. He also touched up the cherry trees.



It sure is a dramatic change, and I'm going to really miss that full shade I was getting from that overgrown pear tree. I bet my rhododendrons will also miss that shade.


No comments: