Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, July 28, 2018

A Minimum and a Modicum for the Grove


When I bought the Roediger House in 2003, the front corner known as the Grove was a grassy area with four cherry trees and a Bradford pear in the center, all quite young. One of the cherry trees died quickly when it was still small enough for me to dig up; another one was diseased and was removed in 2012. The picture above shows how things stood in April 2010.


Since that time, I've done away with all grass in that plot and have planted azaleas, rhododendron, lariope, hostas, hydrangea, calla lilies, and day lilies. I built a planter to extend the lines of the retaining wall behind the movie screen. I've also created a lariope-lined path through there.


On the list of low-profile projects this summer, I've already mentioned installing a drain line through there. The other recent task for the Grove was building up the end closest to the parking lot and completing the mulching of the area, which occurred over the last couple of weeks. Some of the border lariope along that path had died out and I've now replaced that as well.


At this point in the summer, I've now almost used up my second load of mulch (above) and my pile of root-riddled top soil (below).


And I'm proud of and slightly anxious about the giant pile of discarded clay that I've dug out of various areas of the yard. It's about five feet high and two or three times as deep now. I've got to get that hauled off sometime.


No comments: