Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Meal No. 1750: Cheesy Chicken Rice & Broccoli Casserole


On Saturday night, with time set aside to continue catching up on Season 6 of Game of Thrones, I ventured into new territory with my first attempt (that I can recall) of making chicken, rice, and broccoli casserole. (The closest to this was probably Meal No. 257: Almond Chicken & Broccoli with Cream Sauce, back in 2011.) It's the sort of thing that gets gone fast at a church potluck and reminded me of something I might find on the menu at Cracker Barrel, if I could ever remember going to a Cracker Barrel. It was perfect because I put it together before we got started that night, then came downstairs to put it in the oven, and then took it back to the third floor so that we all could eat and make it through a couple more episodes. It was pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself.

Also, I put aside the rice cooker for a change and went back to a stovetop pot to make the rice, which ended up looking rather cool in the late afternoon sun:




While I pretty much made it my own recipe, I still got inspiration and ideas from:
[Very little of each recipe actually made it into my version of that evening's dish, so I think my tinkering went beyond merely adapting.]

No comments: