Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Meal No. 719: Cajun Country Ribs

Last weekend I got to break in the new kamado grill, with a batch of hearty 23-hour smoked barbecue made from a Boston butt pork shoulder. This weekend, I got up around 5:30 am and put a Cajun' Ragin' rub on some country style pork ribs:


Mid-afternoon, I got the natural lump hardwood charcoal started up and took it to a nice-and-easy temp of around 200°F. I also put some hardwood hickory chunks in there and got a heckuva lot of smoke going. With a little more rub added on for good measure, these ribs hit the smoker for a good three hours.


Before they came off for the appointed dinnertime of 8 pm, I put together the Creole Classic Barbecue Sauce that's recommended for these ribs, although it turned out a bit thinner than I would have liked. The sauce did not do a good job of clinging to these ribs. But it was packed with flavor and a touch of heat.


Smoked gouda mac-n-cheese and a pot of corn were perfect sides for the meal.


I'd say the Roediger House is now two-for-two on kamado pork smoking! It all just tasted fantastic.




"Cajun Country Ribs" (p. 76) and "Creole Classic Barbecue Sauce" (p. 358). In Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. Boston: The Harvard Common Press, 2003.

"Best Potluck Macaroni and Cheese," from Cook's Country, April/May 2007, p. 11.

Kamado Meal #2

No comments: