Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Meal No. 710: New Year's Day Meatballs


On my last night at home for the Easter/Spring Break vacation, a large dinner for a fun collection of friends was called for. To serve the masses with high hopes the food would be more than enough, I made two batches of New Year's Day Meatballs, using a recipe shared by my sister Allison.

I returned to the Best Potluck Macaroni and Cheese recipe that was probably my first foray into that ooey-gooey side dish, and it was closer to the creamy goodness that marked that first time of making it. (Ever since then, I've been less happy with the result). It might have been helped along by the substitution of smoked Gouda in place of the white American cheese the recipe suggests.


The cooling touch of broccoli salad rounded out the plate. Contrary to my normal practice, I added the golden raisins that the recipe calls for, and when I was cleaning plates after supper, I saw at least three that had neat piles of them pushed off to the side. Guess I'll go back to the raisin-less version in the future.


I can also report that I'm not excited about the new salad spinner I picked up on impulse at Costco, mostly because it does not seem to get the spinning up to a high enough velocity. I did discover, though, that its velocity of spin is enough to rock-it-walk-it right off the countertop when I stepped outside with a bag of trash while its spinning wound down:


At least it had the good grace and manners to land right-side-up, and I lost very few florets.

As we lolled about after dinner enjoying dessert (coming up in a later blog), mention was made of a YouTube video. In our modern wired world, that meant an iPhone was brought out and the tableful of folks turned their attention to the humor of a small screen:




"New Year's Day Meatballs," from Carol Fultz and shared with me by my sister Allison Jones Holden of Rossville, IN (2001).

"Best Potluck Macaroni and Cheese," from Cook's Country, April/May 2007, p. 11.

"Broccoli Salad," from Cook's Country, August/September 2012, p. 7.

No comments: