Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, August 23, 2015

It's Electric!


In a place like the Roediger House, one can accumulate quite a long list of items for when one finally gets around to calling on an electrician. Such was the case for me, with years to pile on the tasks, and my recent stretch of time at home allowed me to finally get on the case.

I used Angie's List to narrow down my choices and gave a call to Fred Schlosser of eWire Electric Company here in town. What a terrific guy he is...he was able to come over the next day, which was a Friday, and then he returned on Monday since it was more than could be finished in one afternoon.

Here's a sampling, but not the complete list:

I'd never gotten the ceiling light put back up in the study after the plaster repair was done. Since it's doubling now as a bedroom, it made more sense to put in a ceiling fan. Fred took care of it for me.

Near the old men's chairs by the fireside in the addition, I had a floor plug installed for the lamp there. However, it was cheap, plastic, and floor-level instead of recessed, so whatever was plugged in was regularly stepped on. Finally, one of the blades on a lamp plug broke off in the receptacle. I wanted something sturdier that was also recessed into the floor.

The left switch controls the outdoor security flood lights, which are on a photoelectric cell. But from time to time, they'd be inadvertently turned off by guests or workmen and I wanted to put a stop to it. I also still wanted to easily turn those outdoor floods off whenever there's a movie night, so I asked for the kind of switch that you see in schools, where the custodian has a key but otherwise the switch cannot be used. This was the perfect solution.

In both the laundry room and the master bathroom closet, the ballasts in the fluorescent fixtures had gone bad. The closet had been out for years, in fact, and I had a lamp in there for light!

Finally, at the suggestion of Philip Lamachio of Estate Plaster, Inc., I replaced the cheap and potentially faulty sconce lights in the main hallway. Fred installed these for me when he was here.

No comments: