Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, August 8, 2015

August Friday Slumber Party

Whoa: I just taught five days straight, which was split between a road gig in Virginia for the first two days and then three days of teacher training in the next county over from home. By Friday evening, I'll confess to feeling a bit tuckered. But it was also a great night for another Roediger House slumber party with eight or ten friends due. Although I had bought groceries with plans to make a big dinner, it turns out that it worked better for most of the crew to get here later, thanks either to work or traveling in from out of town.

Thank goodness, then, for Food Truck Fridays, right outside the back door of the house:


My two slices of feta and spinach pizza from Home Slice Pizza & Subs last night were fantastic:


As for my kitchen responsibilities for my own shindig here last evening, I guess I learned from the previous overnight gathering back in April that we don't necessarily have to have a ton of food. So this time around there was a fresh batch of pimento cheese, which got completely wiped out by hungry munchers:


As noted in yesterday's blog post, I also had Sprinkled Donut Cap'n Crunch cookies already made, and they were quite delicious!

Around 1 am, I brought up to the crew a warm batch of swiss bacon dip, inspired by an appetizer version of this that I enjoyed with great friends and colleagues at the Woodstock Cafe in Virginia:



Then, this morning, even though we'd all been up until after 3 am, folks somehow got up too early for me to have prepared anything more than a bowl of creamy grits for them:




"Swiss and Bacon Dip," from Rachael Ray. Available online at the Food Network website.

"South Carolina-Style Pimento Cheese." Recipe worked out by me, based on Sharon's Palmetto Pimento Cheese.

Source of creamy grits recipe: Luquire Family Stone Ground Grits, milled in Greenwood, SC.

No comments: