Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Meal No. 1330: Peanut Butter Bacon Burgers


This past Thursday, on the final night of this week's fantastic visit by the Roediger House friends from Oklahoma, a special request was made for peanut butter bacon burgers. These had been spotted on the blog in the past, and Shandra was especially interested in giving them a try.


So, as is my custom when this is the evening's meal, I made classic burger sauce, I made peanut butter from scratch, and I ground the burger beef myself (which was a mix of top sirloin and, for the first time, a cut from beef brisket).


I also tried for the second time a different approach to cooking bacon when it's destined to be included on a sandwich or bun: braided bacon sheets:


The results were pretty solid and I think everybody enjoyed them. It was a real favor to me that they requested this meal: I love making it and I especially love eating it.

A review of key points about peanut butter bacon burgers:
  • Inspired by Yo Mama's in the French Quarter of New Orleans
  • First Made: Meal No. 180
  • Last Made: Meal No. 1298
  • Homemade Peanut Butter
  • Fresh-Ground Beef, typically from boneless beef short ribs and top sirloin
  • Homemade Classic Burger Sauce (recipe below)
  • Labeled Sample Finished Burger: Guide to Meal No. 234
  • Some guidance, inspiration, and tips are based on Cook's Illustrated, No. 93 (July/August 2008), p. 10.



Classic Burger Sauce
from Cook's Illustrated, July-August 2008, p. 11.
4 T mayonnaise
2 T ketchup
1 tsp sweet pickle relish
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp white vinegar
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl.



"Bacon Sheets," from MyFridgeFood.com

No comments: