Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Restoring the Dining Room

It's now been almost three and a half years since my mother passed away, and two summers ago, my siblings and I met on a 100-degree-plus weekend to begin separating out and dividing the possessions from her estate. Each time we've met to do this, I've found myself bringing home boxes and furniture without having any clear plan as to what I should do with them yet. That's how I lost my dining room for the last two years. Once I'd begun piling boxes and stuff in there, it became an easy dumping room for all kinds of things.

I don't have a picture that shows how bad it really got, but this one paints the picture from back in 2012:


One of the RoHo's weekend guests successfully persuaded me we could tackle this mess, and within about an hour-and-a-half, the dining room was restored to usefulness:


This means it's all ready for tomorrow night's Thanksgiving on the Half-Year. I'm pretty damned excited to get this room back.

Oh, and if you notice on the far wall in that picture above, one of the items I brought back from my mother's estate was this portrait of me, from 1971:


No comments: