Search RoHo Blog

Friday, May 23, 2014

Meal No. 1004: Peppered Ribeye Roast

I went into this meal with enthusiasm and high hopes, and it ended up being one of the most mediocre passable meals I've made in quite a while.

It started off with another batch of that delicious spiced pecan and blue cheese salad with sweet-and-sour vinaigrette. I tried making the dressing with walnut oil this time, which gave it a different flavor that was still good.


A large crowd was in attendance for dinner, so I had two boneless ribeye roasts, simply salted and peppered. But I didn't keep a close enough eye on them and they cooked up to medium well. Still flavorful, but I was very disappointed to have ruined that good meat.


For the sides, I returned to the recently-discovered Delmonico potatoes and steamed some asparagus (more crisp than tender, I'm afraid). Somehow I managed to make a coagulated mess of greasy gravy to go with it. Like I said: flavors might have all been okay but this was not a shining effort in my kitchen repertoire.

And let me tell you about the chocolate cake...or perhaps the pictures can take it from here:






"Spiced Pecan and Blue Cheese Salad," inspired by the signature salad at Ryan's Steaks, Chops, & Seafood (an excellent Winston-Salem restaurant). "Sweet and Sour Vinaigrette" from The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, compiled and edited by Julie Fisher Gunter. Birmingham, AL: Oxmoor House (1999), p. 373. "Crispy Cayenne Nuts" recipe from Southern Living, July 2008, available online at MyRecipes.com. Thanks as always to Jimmy Randolph for helping me track down those recipes.

"Standing Rib Roast," in The Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, Birmingham, AL: Oxmoor House (1999), p. 235.

"Delmonico Potatoes," by Diane Unger, in Cook's Country, December/January 2009, p. 13.

"Duke's Chocolate Cake," from the Duke's Mayonnaise website. Adapted version from Deb Lindsey published in the Washington Post.

No comments: