Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Meal No. 862: Thanksgiving Brunch

Part of the RoHo Thanksgiving tradition is to begin Thursday morning with mimosas and a light breakfast or brunch. Some of last night's crew stayed overnight and so I had coffee and goodies ready when they began coming down this morning.


I also got another good roaring fire going since it remains stupidly cold here this morning.

Fire No. 18 in the "new kitchen."

The foodstuffs included creamy grits, party ham biscuits, and zucchini bread:


Those party ham biscuits always take me back to Buies Creek holidays at my mother's house. They were standard fare, always on hand to be pulled from the fridge and heated up whenever anyone wanted a snack.

I forgot to break out the sausage balls that I made the other morning and tucked away in the freezer.

This was my inaugural use of the new University of Virginia plateware I recently obtained. And now, I'll turn my attention to prep for this evening's Thanksgiving feast...



"Party Ham Biscuits," a recipe shared with our family by Susan Brown, who was my sister Allison's college chum at the University of North Carolina. I recorded Susan's in my recipe collection in 1988. There are various versions of this recipe, of course. Pretty popular is the "caramelized" version, such as this one: "Caramelized Ham & Swiss Buns," by Iris Weihemuller of Baxter, MN, in Taste of Home, December 2013, p. 59.

"Zucchini Bread," a recipe shared with me by Laura Thomas on August 23, 2000, in Woodstock, Virginia.

Luquire Family Stone Ground Grits, milled in Greenwood, SC.

No comments: