Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Sour Cream Pound Cake

For about 18 years, I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time working with teachers and administrators in Frederick County, Virginia, which allowed me to travel up there quite a number of times each year, often for several days or up to a week at the time. Part of the joy of that, at least until they up and moved to Maine, was to stay with dear friends Cindy and Harley, who I first met during my masters program at Wake Forest University in the late 1980s. Visits were often timed to include a weekend stayover, so at least one year (when I went back and tallied) we found I actually spent 30 nights at their place. Anyway: one of Cindy's in-laws asked her to track down some McCormick Vanilla Butter & Nut flavor because it was needed in a delicious pound cake recipe. I joined the search for it, finding it easily in our good southern grocery stores back home in North Carolina, but I also dug out that recipe from McCormick's website.

They've renamed that product, now: it's "Cake Batter Flavor," so that's what's listed in the ingredients. (If you click on the link below and go look at their recipe, you might see [as of this writing] that the instructions, however, still refer to vanilla, butter, and nut flavoring!)

All that's to say: it hit me sort of out of the blue last Sunday night to make a loaf of it, and I do believe it was the best it's ever been. 

So very good, in fact, that I turned around and made a second loaf on Monday afternoon.


"Sour Cream Pound Cake," from McCormick. Found online and, formerly, on the original Vanilla Butter & Nut flavoring's packaging box.

No comments: