Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, November 5, 2020

Raspberry Lime Rickey Cake

The first day of November dawned gray, cold, and wet and rainy but by mid-day the sun had emerged and it almost became a nice afternoon. Sumner and I did a good downtown walk that lasted just over an hour. Supper stayed simple: just some baked chicken thighs this time, because the dessert that night was the true star of the evening. 


With a homemade raspberry curd, part of which was used to make a raspberry mousse to serve as the filling between layers, this colorful beast is called a raspberry lime rickey cake. Lime-touched cake layers, and an outer frosting with more lime punch to it, and glazed on top with the reserved portion of raspberry curd, I even adorned it with fresh raspberries just to make it look like I cared a lot.


I can't say that I'm at all fancy about cakes, and I never really go for the showstoppers or whiz-bangers. Let me make a poorly-decorated full-flavored chocolate cake, for instance, and I'll be a grinning somebody. I gave in to last weekend's hankering to try something with more of a 'wow' factor, and while it was an enormous pain in the ass to make, I can't say I found the results to be anything but pleasing. 

Assembly In Process: raspberry mousse filling


Some to-go slices were distributed to neighbors down the street, and a favorable verdict was returned back up this way. 



"Oven Baked Chicken Thighs," from Joanna Cismaru of JoCooks.com. [Published 03 December 2019 / Updated 19 May 2020]

"Raspberry Lime Rickey Cake," from Cook's Country, June/July 2019, p. 33.

1 comment: