Search RoHo Blog

Friday, October 9, 2020

Meal No. 2685: Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuits


As the breezy chills of October's first Saturday morning finally gave way to bright warming sunshine, the household was hit with an early-day hunger. I had a batch of bacon I'd already cooked and was reserving it for the purpose achieved at lunchtime: bacon egg and cheese biscuits. That would be from-scratch buttermilk biscuits and homemade fast-food-style scrambled eggs, mind you.


When I first started teaching school in Raleigh, I was living in Chapel Hill. My extremely early morning commute allowed me to regularly take the Gorman Street exit as I came into southwest Raleigh and zip through the Hardee's drive-through for a 99-cent bacon egg and cheese biscuit and a Coke. (I think that biscuit today runs $2.79 or thereabouts.) My homemade version was exceptional, if you must know, but two of 'em were too many. 



"The Food Lab's Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe," from J. Kenji López-Alt, Chief Culinary Consultant of SeriousEats.com. [Published 07 August 2015]

"Baked Scrambled Eggs," from Heather Johnson of TheFoodHussy.com. [Published 09 September 2019]

No comments: