Search RoHo Blog

Monday, October 26, 2020

Buttermilk Ice Cream and Chocolate Pound Cake



As we hit the one month mark of autumn weekend before last, I found myself drawn to my kitchen with a swirl of possible confections and goodies to tackle. When it was all said and done, I'd made a familiar ice cream and an unfamiliar loaf pound cake. 

A jug of buttermilk was nearing the end of its shelf life, so a batch of buttermilk ice cream involved a predictable impulse, especially when I found myself with five egg yolks from making the epic rainbow cake a few days before. I made the base Friday and churned it Saturday; then it was safely tucked away in the freezer to set up and serve as an evil temptation.



On Sunday afternoon, when the mid-day meal was completed and all washing up done by 3 pm, I figured I'd set out ingredients to reach room temp so I could try a new pound cake recipe, this time a chocolate one with an over-the-top ganache poured over it. Just so you know: it was terrible. That recipe has been balled up and tossed, never to appear at the Roediger House again.



"Buttermilk Ice Cream," from Bi-Rite Creamery's Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, by Kris Hoogerhyde, Anne Walker, and Dabney Gough. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press (2012), p. 37.

"The Best Chocolate Pound Cake," from Heather Mubarak of the Browned Butter Blondie blog. [Published 08 October 2020]

No comments: