Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, October 4, 2020

Blue Velvet Buttermilk Cake & Brown Sugar Cinnamon Ice Cream

I found myself in the yolks and whites dilemma again, back on September 24th. I wanted to make another batch of ice cream and all I need for that is yolks...and I hate for the egg whites to go to waste. It was an easy dig into my cake recipes binder to decide to try a new one out: white velvet buttermilk cake with an ermine frosting. I've never undertaken that old-fashioned buttercream that depends on cooked flour and milk and granulated sugar, and it was a miserable failure, on this first attempt. It did not stiffen up sufficiently and became a gloopy mess once I'd spread it onto the cake layers. I don't much care for layer cakes that have to be refrigerated but my hands were tied on this one!

Still, it was the dessert offering on Friday a week ago and what likely saved it all was the ice cream that was the initiating culprit in this dual endeavor into the glorious land of sugar and sweets. I tried out a brown sugar cinnamon ice cream, and while I hope I never have to stand there chopping cinnamon morsels again as I did late into the previous evening, I do hope to get this ice cream on my plate again soon.




"White Velvet Buttermilk Cake," from Liz Marek of SugarGeekShow.com. [Published 09 March 2018 / Updated 08 June 2020]

"Brown Sugar Cinnamon Ice Cream," from Heather Tullos of SugarDishMe.com. [Published 11 September 2015]

No comments: