Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2020

Meal No. 2666: Sweet Pork Sheet Pan Nachos


When I find Boston butt pork shoulders on sale at Harris Teeter, I'll imagine clever or saucy ways I might put them to use, such as in a fancy international braise or in a hearty beef-style stew with vegetables. Then comes the time when I need to cook it or toss it, and I'll have left myself only enough time for a familiar old standby. That's the story of this past Tuesday, when it worked best to have let the slow cooker work overnight so that I could create the easy enchilada sauce mid-afternoon, shred the cooked pork, and leave it to simmer a while longer. 


I also put together a batch of pico de gallo, which is not my usual approach, and added black beans and corn to it all as toppings for a big ol' spread of nachos on a sheet pan. The full belly that remained at bedtime was a reminder of how tasty it all was that evening.



The week started off with the understandable come-down that might follow a pretty glorious weekend, when I had reveled in having tons of outside time. But then the realities of Tuesday following a holiday settled on me, and I found myself with a pretty good to-do list and errands to run and shopping to accomplish. Having an easy go-to for supper served me well that day.


Shredded Pork based on "Cafe Rio Sweet Pork," from Holly of Life in the Lofthouse. [Published 30 October 2014] See also "Sweet Pork Nachos," from Holly as well. [Published 01 August 2017]

"Pico de Gallo," from Kathryne Taylor of Cookie + Kate.

No comments: