Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Meal No. 2662: Chili's Copycat Southwestern Egg Rolls


The first day of September brought with it cooler temps and gray rainy skies, making it feel much closer to the coming season of autumn than I can ever be especially comfortable with. I just love summer and the warm weather and all the time I get to spend outside, so this is going to depress me if it seems it is coming to an end. Since it wasn't a day for yard work, I persuaded myself to tackle a fun dinner idea that gets just a bit involved: southwestern egg rolls, in the style of those that I have enjoyed at Chili's in the past.

To up the flavor profile, I decided I'd give pounded chicken breasts a spice rub and grill them:


When it came time to put these all together, I went ahead and made a vegetarian filling too, and a second pan with four additional vegetarian-friendly egg rolls, without the chicken, so that I could pass them on to dear neighbors down the street. But I held onto the primary pan of egg rolls because they had this delicious chicken (diced up!) in 'em:


I'd made these one other time, in early 2018, as part of an appetizer sampler platter for supper. On that previous occasion, I went so far as to fry the rolls, but that was also back before I'd worked so hard to get my weight down. The more recent version was tossed into the oven to bake, although overall it's still not the healthiest dish! The avocado ranch dipping sauce was definitely on point, I might add...so much so that it was perfect for dressing mixed green salad together with the unused grilled chicken breast portions, providing me with delicious suppers for the following two nights:




Similar to "Chili's Southwest Egg Rolls," submitted by Janet K. Lewis on epicurious.com. [Updated 23 September 2015]

No comments: