Search RoHo Blog

Monday, August 31, 2020

Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake and Buttermilk Ice Cream


Back on August 21st, after a huge supper, I still found the gumption (once the dinner dishes were washed and put away) to make the base for a batch of buttermilk ice cream, and then the next day I was able to churn it and put it away in the freezer to set up. That Saturday night it was a perfect companion to a big ol' slice of blue ribbon carrot cake, which I made earlier that day.



"Blue Ribbon Carrot Cake (1981)," also known as "Best Carrot Cake (October, 1997)," from Southern Living. Compiled in the Southern Living 1981 Annual Recipes, Birmingham: Oxmoor Press. Also found online. The recipe I follow was recommended and shared with me by John & Ebbie Linaburg of Woodstock, Virginia.

"Buttermilk Ice Cream," from Bi-Rite Creamery's Sweet Cream and Sugar Cones, by Kris Hoogerhyde, Anne Walker, and Dabney Gough. Berkeley: Ten Speed Press (2012), p. 37.

No comments: