Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Meal No. 2619: Deviled Chicken Thighs


Saturday, the Fourth of July, in the year of hell: 2020. A hot breezeless day that proved ill-suited to outdoor labors but perfect for an indulgent late-afternoon hour-long nap. I found myself digging through boxes in my hope-to-be-a-study-one-day junk room, and eventually found what I was looking for. It means I also found things that I wasn't at the moment looking for but had wanted someday to track down, including a mess of pictures from the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, mostly, that were not in the photo albums from that era. (I also found a small stash of my dad's pics from World War II in the Pacific that I'd long ago misplaced, so that's also a bonus.) It became more interesting to start scanning these and that means I never even tried to pick up a shovel or pickaxe even though the skies were clear.


At dinnertime, a meat and two sides were sufficient celebration of the holiday, and I had deviled chicken thighs, buttered peas, and a batch of the rather delicious mac and cheese based on the Willie Mae Scotch House recipe—a New Orleans classic!



"Deviled Chicken Drumsticks," by Ian Knauer. In Gourmet, August 2008.

"Willie Mae's Mac and Cheese," shared by Willie Mae's Scotch House of New Orleans via Good Morning America. [Published 19 May 2020]

No comments: