Search RoHo Blog

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Meal No. 2585: Slow-Cooker Texas Pulled Pork


Last Saturday night I put a huge Boston Butt pork shoulder into the slow cooker, added the necessary various ingredients, gave it a good spice rub, and dumped barbecue sauce on it. By morning it smelled so very good that I could've eaten it like cereal...but I didn't. I let it slowly cook and season and tenderize until early afternoon, then I shredded it and added some homemade barbecue sauce, and let it cook a while longer. Just before serving it up, I made a fresh batch of sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, pulled out my container of Mother's slaw that I'd already prepped, and it was a lovely Sunday dinner feast at the Roediger House.



Pulled Pork based primarily on "Slow Cooker Texas Pulled Pork," from cmccreight on AllRecipes.com. Some modifications were drawn from a Review with Modifications by jenleighd, except for cinnamon. I did not add cinnamon. Cinnamon does not belong in barbecue.

Barbecue Sauce added after shredding and for final hours of slow-cook: "Homemade BBQ Sauce," from Ali of GimmeSomeOven.com. [Published 03 July 2014]

Barbecue Sauce for serving was adapted from "Sweet and Tangy Barbecue Sauce" from recipe for "Indoor Pulled Pork," by Bryan Roof. In Cook's Illustrated, January & February 2010 (No. 102), p. 6-7.

Sweet Southern Coleslaw based on recipe from Allison M. Jones.

2 comments:

Ben Phillis said...

That looks amazing. Did you use Sweet Baby Ray's for the first BBQ sauce?

Ray said...

I'm pretty sure it was a bottle of Sticky Fingers...maybe Memphis Hickory or Smokehouse or something along those lines...?