Search RoHo Blog

Sunday, May 24, 2020

French Silk Chocolate Pie


While my commitment to making progress especially on outdoor projects means I've not drawn a slip from the quarantine task jar every day this month, I'm glad that the last seven tasks represented a better balance among the different kinds of tasks that the jar contains. Since drawing "Make Cookies" back on May 3rd, there have been four of the dreaded "purple" slips and two of the outside "green" yard tasks...and this past Thursday a fun blue slip came out of the jar: "French Silk Pie."


The recipes I put on the blue slips were to help break the monotony and to give me both enjoyable things to do but also to push me to try recipes I'd been holding in the trial queue for a while. Cook's Country published this one 11 years ago, so that's how long I've waited to get around to it. Actually, my friend and former colleague Linda Dunlap gave me her recipe for French silk pie at least 15 years ago (or more!)...and still I've yet to make it!


The cold multi-day rainy spell that assaulted us mid-week made the timing excellent for this endeavor, and after a reasonably productive morning on the endless other to-do tasks, I got busy with pie-making. My recent novice experience with pie crust was an unshakeable stopper on trying a scratch-made pastry shell, so a frozen store-bought one was the stand-in. I did the double-boiler to cook and whip the egg-and-sugar combination; I used the high-dollar bittersweet chocolate baking bar; I made homemade chilled whipped cream to fold into it.

And the result was a frickin' amaze-balls French silk pie. I'm still looking for the socks it knocked off.



"French Silk Chocolate Pie," by Diane Unger in Cook's Country, February/March 2009, p. 26-27.

No comments: