Search RoHo Blog

Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Bruce's Mom's Mom's Devil's Food Cake


With hankerings for kitchen creations and time on my hands the Saturday before Christmas, I tried out a new recipe I found in sort of an obscure blog posting. It's from someone named Bruce and he titled it "Mom's Devil's Food Cake," circa 1917-1920. It's what he got from his mother, who was replicating his grandmother's recipe.


I had held on to some extra chocolate frosting from making the Wellesley fudge cake a couple of weeks ago and decided to make it the center layer/filling. It still had some ooze to it, so it was an imperfect execution, and it peeked through the vanilla buttercream as I spread it around the sides of the cake. But it made for a compelling mix of flavors once the cake was sliced and sampled. The two icings were winners; I'm afraid the cake layers themselves were pretty darned dry. I suspect I'll be discarding this recipe because I've got plenty of other promising ones to try instead.



"Mom's Devil's Food Cake," posted by Bruce to the FreshLoaf.com blog. [Posted 06 April 2009]

Vanilla Buttercream based on "Chocolate Velvet Cake," from Barry C. Parsons of RockRecipes.com.

No comments: