Search RoHo Blog

Saturday, July 6, 2019

A Stash of Ticket Stubs


Speaking of movies, the quiet and lulls of late winter permitted me another organizing/archiving project, not so wildly different from my recipe notebook endeavor from the fall of 2017. This one involved emptying out a Pearl's Beer pitcher that had the accumulated ticket stubs from movies, concerts, national parks, plays, community events, museums, and athletic events (and such!) over the last four decades.


I sorted them according to type and then started putting them in date order:


Then I started taping them onto sheets and labeling them:



Then I scanned each page so I'd have the digital archive and slid the hardcopies into page protectors to go in a notebook:


I created a new Instagram account (@ticketstubsstash) and have made IG-friendly posts out of each ticket and I upload them no more than once a day. It's been a fun diversion and I've enjoyed the positive reaction to them.


But I've also really enjoyed the trip down memory lane...I've seen a lot of great and even modern classic films...and also some that were utterly forgettable. Many of these posts have been the plain scanned image from my archive notebook, as shown above with my $2.00 matinee price from the original run of E.T.: The ExtraTerrestrial in 1982. Others I've also jazzed up with some photoshop fancification:


It's also rekindled my desire to catch more films in the theatres instead of waiting until release on DVD or bluray or via streaming. Over the last few years, I seem to have seen only a handful per year at the multiplex or arthouse theatre, but 2019 is definitely shaping up to be a record. I suspect that will be discussed in some upcoming blog post.

1 comment:

Brad said...

This is excellent.