Search RoHo Blog

Thursday, January 17, 2019

January Mulchfest


Normally I'd try to do a mulching of the planting and shrubbery beds sometime during the fall, but it didn't happen on schedule. With a slow start to January and even a single day last week that looked like it might be sunny and moderate, I put in my order for 7 yards of hardwood mulch from Pope Sand & Gravel, which was delivered Wednesday a week ago.


The truck was barely out of sight before I was out there with pitchfork and wheelbarrow, spreading 17 loads Wednesday in the low 60s warmth and sunshine, and an additional 26 loads through Thursday's brisk and chilling low 40s, with me all bundled up but still determined!


I quickly depleted most of what I'd gotten and needed one more day to finish. But the cold and then the rains last weekend put a damper on that for a few days, so I did the final 9 wheelbarrow loads on Monday before hitting the road for Chesterfield County, VA.


One of the winter tasks that I always try to do around January 1st is to trim the dead limbs from plants like the large-blooming hibiscus, and I also like to knock down the lariope and the ornamental grasses:



I must confess: my body was feeling it after being so sedentary these last few months! But each mulching day Sumner and I got to enjoy our lunch breaks together before resuming our outside work time.


No comments: