Search RoHo Blog

Monday, September 24, 2018

Meal No. 2205: Country Captain Chicken


Although it's quite a good meal, I'm not sure I can explain why Tuesday night's Country Captain chicken was making only its third appearance here in the Roediger House. It's a delicious Anglo-Indian fusion meal that emerged in South Carolina and Georgia but which came to me via New Jersey. Deeply and brightly flavored, with a touch of heat, and a rich sauce that stews into a marvelous combination exceeding its constituent parts, it was great over fresh steamed basmati rice and with roasted parmesan broccoli florets.

Thanks to the historical record provided through this blog, I can report that I first made this for Meal No. 75, after Princeton friends David and Everett prepared it on a visit up to New Jersey. The other occasion for Country Captain, with a different recipe, was Meal No. 1662, and it wasn't as good, as I recall.



"Country Captain Chicken," a recipe shared by David Wald (Princeton, NJ), May 2009.

No comments: